Thursday, December 6, 2007

101 Things in 1001 Days

OK - I guess I am a bit of a copy cat. I was thinking about my "list" and went to my good friend , Google, for help. I can't rememeber exactly what I searched for, but a bunch of "101 things to do in 1001" days came up. So, I decided to look into it.

A lot of what I found were lists of actual things to do or buy or try. But, when I started my list, a lot of my "items" are not so specific. But, I am OK with that. Heck, it is MY list.

This is a description of what the 101 Things to do in 1001 days is all about:

The Mission: Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria: Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 Days?: Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.

Some common goal setting tips:
1. Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it.
2. Stay Focussed. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress.
3. Welcome Failure. Frequently, very little is learned from a venture that did not experience failure in some form. Failure presents the opportunity to learn and makes the success more worthy.
4. Write down your goals. It clarifies your thinking and reinforces your commitment.
5. Keep your goals in sight. Review them frequently, and ensure that they are always at the forefront of your thinking.

So, I have started my own list. I am about 1/2 way there to 101. So, here goes.....(in no particular order)

101 Things to do in 1001 days - my list
  1. Grow and maintain my nails
  2. Plan a “just us” day every month with just me and Colin
  3. Have a date night at least once per month - every month
  4. Remember that sometimes “good enough” is …well, good enough
  5. Make a will
  6. Call my grandmother out of the blue - just to tell her I love her
  7. Drink more water
  8. Walk instead of drive
  9. Encourage Colin to learn the guitar (and not guitar hero)
  10. Join a book club
  11. Remember to stop and smell the roses
  12. Visit my local museums
  13. Finish an entire Sudoko book - wrong answers or not
  14. Invite friends over for a home cooked meal - at least once a month
  15. Try to find a red wine that I will actually drink
  16. Learn and make 10 new recipes that my family loves
  17. Take at least one “just for me” class at the local college
  18. Understand football enough to make my own picks for Fantasy Football
  19. Send a note by MAIL to someone I am thinking of at the moment
  20. Have a neighborhood BBQ and invite the crabby lady across the street
  21. Send in my application for the Women’s Crisis Center volunteer program
  22. Figure out what looks best on me and not care about what size it is
  23. Buy clothes for my current size, not the size I think I still fit into
  24. Travel to a state that I have never been to before
  25. Start a new family tradition
  26. Learn all the phone numbers that are saved in my cell phone
  27. Go to see a Broadway play (or other NYC show), at least once a year
  28. Learn to knit or crochet
  29. Write a compliment letter ever time I receive great service AND mail it
  30. Go to Las Vegas
  31. Pay for the toll of the person behind me - at least once a year
  32. Make 2 weeks of meals in one day and freeze them
  33. Go to bed late once a week just to spend more time with my husband
  34. Make a complete list of birthdays of all the cousins (and their kids).
  35. Call above on their birthday
  36. Post on my blog at least 3 times a week
  37. Go away for the weekend by myself - just a me vacation
  38. Get really dressed up and invite friends over for a fancy cocktail party
  39. Learn how to skip stones
  40. Re-learn to make stained glass
  41. Surprise someone when it is not their birthday
  42. Pay cash for all purchase for a whole month
  43. Take a long distance road trip
  44. Invite someone from church for an after service lunch
  45. Blow-dry my hair for work at least once a week
  46. Send a local family in need a donation just because
  47. Learn to stop rolling my eyes
  48. Write a letter to let my son know how much I love him
  49. Meet Colin’s step-mother

I am going to make a separate blog of this list and update it has times goes by.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...