Friday, August 24, 2007

Colin starts school in 1 1/2 weeks

Colin will be 13 in the fall, where has the time gone. I can't believe I was pregnant 13 years ago. Over the last year, I have been on a message board with others trying to get pregnant. I can't believe how much has changed since 1994. I am listing them here, I am sure that there are more, maybe I will update the list as I see fit.

Some of the differences
1. When I was pregnant, you got one (yes one) ultrasound. This was done at when ever the Dr said so. This is now considered the "big" ultrasound. I was able to have 2 ultrasounds because at the end I was spotting and had to have an emergency ultrasound. I see women getting an ultrasound as early as 6 weeks.

2. You were months pregnant, not weeks. You just figured that a pregnancy was 9 months so based on your due date you would subtract 1 month from that, etc. So I was due in Nov - so in July I would have been 5 months pregnant...I have no idea how many weeks that is.

3. You never figured out the due date yourself. You went to the doctor and they pulled out this fancy wheel thing (I know they still have it) and that was it. There was never moving any due date based on ultrasound. Your date was based on your last period - that's it.

4. Registering for a baby shower was basically unheard of. My mom basically made a list of things that I needed and crossed things of this list.

5. Nothing matched, I had what I needed and that was enough.

6. When you went to Toys R Us (or anywhere) there was about 4 car seats (high chairs, play pens, etc) to choose from. I have been there recently and I can not believe the amount of crap the have now. I also can't believe that each company has several patterns, types, etc of every product. 13 yrs ago, the only way you got a different pattern was use a different brand.

7. During my pregnancy - other than drinking alcohol and smoking, everything else was ok. Yes, I was told not a lot of caffenine and maybe some other small things, but in no way was it no tuna, no ceasar salad, no this no that. I see things on BOTB and I am like, What???? I know things are different and I know that I ahve not done the reasearh on why certain food are a no-no, but my son is fine and I ate whatever I wanted.

8. If you child was cold, you put a blanket on him.

9. My son drank juice (what a horrible mom I am).

10. There were no boppy, bumbo chair, diaper gennie (well, this one was brand new), they did not have fancy car seats that clipped into a fancy carriage, my diaper bag was the free one from the hospital (best bag ever), wipe warmer meant that you rubbed your hands together before you touched the wipe, my swing was a swing that made this loud noise, not this sideways swinging thing that is so quiet.

11. Maternity clothes were the worst thing EVER! They all had this horrible circular collar - yes, even in the nice expensive stores all the shirts were the same. Trendy and Maternity were never in the same sentence.

12. Pregnant girls would never show their belly and would NEVER had done pregnany photo shoots.

13. Formula feeding was considered the norm. It was weird to breastfeed.

14. Only your coach was in the room with you. And the delivery room was not this semi-private room. It was just a delivery room, where you and 4-6 other women were delivering also. You would NEVER has your mom, your MIL, your cousins ex-girlfriend, your Best Friends Husband, etc in the room.

15. My son had bumpers in his crib.

16. My son LOVED his walker. We actually put plexiglass (sp) over a french door so he could crash into it without getting hurt.

17. The internet did not exist, you got your information by actually talking to your doctor or buy buying a book (gasp)

18. I probaby had lunch meat every day.

19. I colored my hair - probably twice.

20. my son actually played in the dirt!!! Probably had many worms in his mouth and he is still alive!!! Yes I washed his hands, I probably even used some soap at times, but I never prevented him from playing in the dirt and never followed him with antibacterial gel.

21.It was the norm not to find out the sex of the child.

22. Pain Medicine was the norm. Most doctors would just give this to you, you had to specificlly request NOT to have pain meds.

23. His "jumperoo" was a cloth like seat that was attached to a spring that had a clasp on it. The clasp hung from a door way. He loved it!!!!

I am sure that there are tons more because I come across it all the time. I always think to my self - I never did any of that, etc.

I am not flaming anyone or the way they treat their pregnancy or how they raise their child, I am just stating that it is VERY different from 13 years ago.

My son is a very healthy, well adjusted 12 1/2 year old. I was a single mom for 11 of those 12 years and I think he turned out GREAT!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...