Thursday, November 18, 2010

Chocolate Covered Pretzels - Baptism Favors

Elsie is being baptised this weekend. I wanted to do a simple favor. Last year, I did the cupcake bites. They were a big hit. But, I wanted to do something different. And, let's be honest....something simple.

I love edible favors, and figured the easiest thing would be chocolate covered pretzels. I made dark choc and milk choc with a white choc drizzle. I used the "defrost" setting on the microwave. I think it actually melts the chocolate better than the full power. In the past, I have use the regular power and feel like the chocolate got "burnt". I let it go for about 60 seconds, stirred it and then let it go for another 30 (ish) seconds. It was the perfect consistency at that point

One tip that I found on-line was to pour the choc onto wax paper and then just roll the pretzel (1st pic). This worked out really well and gave a nice even coating for the pretzel. I have seen some pics and they seems very thick and chunky. I think those were "dunked" in some kind of cup or a deep bowl.

I think the wax paper method worked really well. The only tip with that is not to put too much on the paper at one time. It cools really fast when in thin amounts. After the first time, I just put a smaller amount on the paper and rolled it. I did "tap" it a bit before putting it on the cooling rack. The rack worked better than just waxed paper. The rack allowed less surface area touching the pretzel - so no flat spot like if I just put it on the waxed paper.

After the chocolate was "set" I melted the white and then took a fork to drizzle. I am sure it would have been fine if the choc was not set. But, I did not want to take any chances since I did not have more time. to make more if these were ruined somehow.

I made 60 total - 30 milk and 30 dark. Each favor has one of each. I just made a simple tag. I had wanted to use the extra paper from the invite kit...but my printer was totally not cooperating. So, simple tag it is. No worries :)

Oh, and I gave Cora a small piece of pretzel with chocolate on it. She loved it.

UPDATE - I have made these several times, and have gotten between 35-40 pretzels out of a one pound bag of chocolates.







 
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea! What did you wrap the pretzels in?

Shavo said...

Hi there, what did u wrap them in ?

Amy (TheGiggleWorm) said...

They make special pretzel bags. YOu can find them at most craft store (Michaels, AC Moore, etc) They will be in the candy making / Wilton section. Usually by the lolipop molds.

City Girl Gone Country said...

I am curious about how the tag is attached to the bag. Is it just the ribbon holding the bag to the tag or did you do something else 'behind the scenes'?

City Girl Gone Country said...

I am curious about how you attached the tag to the pretzel bags. Is it just the ribbon that is tied around the bag keeping the bag connected to the tag?

Amy (TheGiggleWorm) said...

@city girl gone country - there was a bit of space at the top of the bag. I just folded over the cardstock a tiny bit over the bag and stapled it shut. The ribbon was tied into a bow and then glued to cover the staple on the front.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and elegant tag and great idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...