Friday, September 25, 2009

My Birth Story

I know Cora is almost 2 weeks old, but I wanted to share her birth story. It is not too exciting, but nice to have written down.

I can give you the quick birth story:

10:45 - Water Broke
12:30 - Got to hospital (4cm)
2:00 - Remaining water broke (5cm)
4:30 - Epi
5:00 - 7cm
5:30 - 10cm
6:31 - Cora born

And the long story:

Sunday 9/13
10:45 AM - my water broke in the grocery store (not kidding). I was just about to check out, so since it was not a gush, i checked out with what I had. I know this sounds so funny. But, it takes me a long time to do it, and I knew people would be in my house. And they would NOT be happy if there was no food.

I called my husband from the store, he was about to leave for golf. I am sure his friend was pissed about not going lol.

I had to go home, try to figure out if it was actually my water breaking, or maybe I just peed my pants haha. Plus, although everything was in one spot, I had to offically pack my bag. Plus, I had to figure out what was happening with Lil J.

We did some last minute things around the house - and yes, I took a shower. I got to the hospital at 12:30.

12:30 PM - I got to the hospital and went to triage. The doc was there at that point and I was checked. I still was not sure if it was my water or not.

She did an exam, determined that it was my water, and that I was already 4 cm dilated. WOW!

I had to get an IV antibiotic since I tested + for Group B Strep, this was done in the triage room. After that was done, they wanted me to walk the halls. But, first they wanted to get me to a room and break the rest of my water.

2PM - got into a room at 2pm, and they broke my water and checked me again. They had to break it again since I had a high leak. I was 5 cm at that point. I was in no pain, but wanted to make sure I knew I could get the epi until a certain point. The nurse told me that I could get one upto about 8 cm or so. I figured I had some time, so I decided to wait to get it.

I started to walk the halls at 2:30 with instuctions to be back around 3:15 (ish)

Well, by 3:00, I was having contractions right on top on each other and I knew I wanted the epi. We got back to the room and told the nurse I wanted the epi. I had to have a whole bag of fluid before they would give it to me, so I had to wait. The wait seemed like forever. Of course add in that the nurses were changing shift, etc. The IV was not started for a while, so I had to just deal with the contractions.

4:30 PM, the nurse noticed that my IV did something (infiltrated?) and I had to have a new one, it took about 1/2 hour to do all the prep, etc for the epi.

5PM, finally at 5PM, the epi was in - so about 1.5 hours after I requested it. I was checked at that point and I was 7 cm. I am so glad I got that epi, because all of a sudden, I was having extreme amounts of pressure. Not pain. But pressure.

5:30 PM - since I was having so much pressure, and I guess there were drops in heartrate, I was checked again. YUP - 10 cm!!!!! I went from 7 to 10 in less than 1/2 hour. I did some practice pushing. Basically pushing for 2-3 minutes, break for 10 minutes.

6:25 PM - Major pressure, MUST.PUSH.NOW lol. doc called in, 3-4 pushes later, Cora was born at 6:31 PM

So, that is the long and short of it.

I could add some not so nice details - things about the doctor being a total ass, or some TMI info - but I will leave it as is - don't want to ruin a great story :)

1 comment:

Stacie said...

Beautiful! I am soooo very happy for you and your family. You have waited so long for this. Cora is a gorgeous baby, and she has two amazing parents. She's a lucky little girl.

I hope you are feeling well and getting rest.

How is Colin liking being a big brother? And, Lil J, what does he think of all of this??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...