Wednesday, September 9, 2009

37 Week Appointment

I had my repeat growth scan and standard 37 week appointment today. This post may have some TMI in it - don't say I did not warn you.

Growth Scan:
I was anxious about the growth scan. The baby has consistently measured in the high percentages. Yes, I know - they can be off, etc. But scan after scan basically showed the same measurements and high percentages. I was getting nervous about a vaginal delivery and a super big gigantic baby.

At my last scan 3 weeks ago, the baby measured a little over 6 pounds (1 oz over). They were thinking that today the baby would weigh close to 8 pounds. At that rate, the baby would be close to 9-10 pound range at full term. YUP - that made me nervous.

Well, today, the baby only measured just under 7 pounds. It was a different tech than all the other times, I hope that is why it did not measure large. Plus, the tech said that the head (one area that they measure) was very low and hard to get a great measurement on it.

I was actually concerned about the "lack" of growth. It made me nervous that the baby only gained less than a pound in 3 weeks. It went from measuring in the 75-85% to only measuring in the 50%. I spoke to the doc about my concerns, and she said it was totally normal for a baby to "slack off" a bit at the end if they started growing earlier.

The doc also said that everything else looked great and she was not concerned about the drop in percentage. Plus, she did also reminded me that it could be off, different techs, position of the baby, etc, etc

We are still doing a scheduled induction - if I make it that far.

The Exam
I have gotten pretty used to the internal exams. Yeah, they are uncomfortable, but what are you gonna do???

The doc asks about contractions, etc - which I tell her have gotten stronger and painful in the past week or so. I can't believe that I have had non-stop braxton hicks contractions for months now.

So, she does her exam and says, "well, those contractions are actually doing something now".... "you have already started to dilate". Yes, I know that, I have been at 1 for a few weeks now.

NOPE - I am over 2cm dilated! She said almost 2.5! I know I can stay at 2 for a long time, but I was thrilled that I had made some progress. Then she tells me that I am already 50% effaced. Again, all good news.

Then she proceeds to tell me that she doubts that I will make it to my appointment next week. Wowza :)

After the appointment:
After she did her exam, she told me that I will definitely spot, and it was due to the exam. OK, no bid deal.

I decided to go to CVS and buy some panty-liners so that I don't ruin my pants. I had some time to kill as I was meeting my husband and the kids for another appointment in the area. I went to CVS, got what I needed, plus a magazine, etc.

I went to a store across the street and to my totally surprise - I was BLEEDING. Not spotting. But, blood all over my underwear, all over my pants, down my leg, everywhere. And after I got over my shock and wiped, there were HUGE clots the size of quarters.

I started to freak out. I cleaned myself up. I actually took off my pants and "washed" them in the sink and then used the hand dryer to dry them. Thank goodness my shirt was super long.

I called the doc of course. She basically told me that more than likely it is my mucus plug. And that if the bleeding continued to be heavy for a couple of hours, that I should call them back.

By the time I got home, the bleeding has basically stopped and it is just minor spotting.

Losing your plug could be the start of labor, or it could be NOTHING! But, it is a step in the right direction.

So, needless to say - my bag will be packed TODAY :) I will post some 3D pics below this post as soon as I scan them tonight.

2 comments:

Stacie said...

WOW, it could be any minute now. How exciting and scary at the same time. You're smart for packing your bag TODAY.

I wish you nothing but the best if we don't hear from you for a while because you had the baby.

You're going to do amazing!

Jackie said...

Hmm...I wonder if baby will be joining us sooner then later! Quick labor vibes your way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...