Friday, August 27, 2010

In the hospital

Yesterday, I had my normal OB appointment. Since I was having contractions, they hooked me up to the monitor. In 10-15 minutes, I had 2 contractions. So, He gave me the the fFN test - I guess because I have been having regular contractions for a while now. Nothing real "regular" on a timing basis - but several an hour...all day. Seriously, had BH with Cora too.

So, I got a call at 7 that the the test was positive. For those that don't know, the ffFN test determines if you have a chance of going into pre-term labor.

According to the doc, if you test negative, you have a 95% chance of NOT going into labor in the next 2 weeks. If you test positive, you have a higher chance of POSSIBLY going into labor early. Basically, a positive test does not tell you a whole lot.

So, I tested positive and he did not want me to wait until the AM, I guess the positive test, and the contractions were enough to get him concerned. I was admitted around 9:30 last night.

The doc ordered meds to slow contractions but only if I had more than 6 in an hour. Well, in the first 20-25 minutes on the monitor, I had 7-8 contractions. They have not been painful, but I could feel them coming, etc.

They gave me Procardia (sp?) which did slow the contractions for a while. I was also given the shot of betamethozone (sp?) to help mature the lung just in case. I will have another shot of the betameth this evening.

But, within 5 hours I was woken up by stonger contractions. I was off the monitor for a while since I was not contracting. So, I was put back on and was having LOTS of contractions and they were VERY close together.

So, I was given more procardia. The contractions actually got stronger, and closer together. So, about 1.5 hours later - I was given another dose. That really helped since I have had no contractions in a couple of hours.

I have had no cervical changes at all, thank goodness!

So, I will be here at least another night, so that they can give the second shot of betameth. Of course with monitoring along the way.

More than likely, I will be sent home with the procardia (pill) to keep the contractions under control.

But, one this is for sure - I WILL be on bedrest. I thought just modified bedrest, but it really does not look that way. I am trying not to think about it. It is gonna be hard with 2 little ones at home. But, we will do whatever we can to keep this baby in as long as possible. Bedrest at home is better than bedrest at the hospital.

My husband brought my laptop to me today, YAY for free wi-fi. So, I will try to update.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Prayers are with you all Amy!

Love your blog,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...