Tuesday, October 8, 2013

DIY Princess Castle Cake

The girls LOVE princesses and they wanted a princess castle cake for their birthday.  I am no master baker - but when they ask for a castle cake, they shall get a castle cake LOL.

Turns out my mom had the Wilton Enchanted Castle Cake Pan, yay.  This is a molded cake pan, that if all goes well you just bake it and decorate it like a castle.  Easy Peasy.

Here is my semi tutorial.  I kinda start the photos after the cake was baked - lol.

What I needed:
ONE cake mix box (plus all ingrediants on the box)
2 Tubs of frosting
1 Tube of gel frosting
Food Color
Decorator Bag + tips
Tooth picks


Step 1:  Mix up your favorite cake recipe.  And, if you are like me, that means a cake mix box.  You only need ONE box for this cake.  Just make it according to the directions.  Make sure you really really spray your castle pan with cooking spray, and for good measure I dusted with some flour.

Step 2: Bake the Cake.  Of course there is no time listed on your box for a formed pan (lol), mine took 34 minutes to bake.  After you remove it from the oven, keep it in the pan for about 10 minutes to cool.

Step 3: PRAY that the cake comes out in one piece.  After praying and hoping that it comes out, flip it onto a cooling rack and let it cool for many many hours - I cooled it for about 8 hours.  Maybe even more.

Tada

Step 4: Transfer onto your serving plate.  I used a cutting board covered in foil.  It was nice and flat and served the purpose.  Use white frosting to cover the sides of the cake and all the void "background" spots of the cake.  You can kinda see it here, the space between the towers, and all along the sides.


Step 5: Outline the castle.  This is where I used the tube of gel.  I picked a color that would contrast the rest of my colors.  I used get, but you could use regular frosting using a decorator tip.

Step 6: Tint your frosting and fill in the roofs.  This is where I probably should tell you that you will use your decorator bag and your fancy tips to create little *stars* of frosting to fill in the spaces and it will look oh so pretty.  Yeah, that might have worked if I used a super stiff buttercream, or even added some powered sugar to my store bought tub o' frosting.  But, honestly - I was trying not to stress over this.  So, when my stars turned into blobs, I just went with it.  I did use the decorator bag and the tooth picks to fill in the spaces, and honestly I think it looks great.  No stress.

Step 7:  Tint additional frosting and fill in the rest of the cake using the decorator bag and the tooth picks to get in the small spaces.

TADA - Princess Castle Cake




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...